Welcome to the Group of 78 Web site
Global News Is Home News
The G78 web site brings you analysis, comment, and
information on Canada in international affairs and
the impact of international affairs on Canada
*WE'VE MOVED: please note our new address*
The Group of 78
244 - 211 Bronson Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1R 6H5
Luncheon Speaker Series
"Not for Sale": Slavery and human trafficking in Canada and around the world
March 25, 2014
12:00 noon, presentation 1:00 p.m.
Palais Imperial Restaurant, 311- 313 Dalhousie St., Ottawa
Annual Policy Conference
Responding to China's Global Re-Emergence
September 27 - 29, 2013
Cartier Place Suite Hotel
180 Cooper St., Ottawa ON
Acknowledgements and Thanks
Watch our Conference 2013 page for more information about the program and background materials.
Match This! Donation appeal reaches goal.
Thanks to our generous donors, we have reached our goal for funds to upgrade our web site! We will be working hard over the summer to develop a new site with easier navigation and increased content.
Gerald Ohlsen, Caitlin Vito and Erica Noordermeer, February 2013, Plan B: Bringing Peace to Afghanistan, Esprit de Corps
"Does the World Still Trust Canada?" Hassan Arif, Telegraph Journal, and Huffington Post Canada - January 7, 2013 - Column on the work of the Group of 78 to promote stability in Africa.
Group of 78 Luncheon Speaker Series
- November 19, 2013 - Michael Byers - From Sea Kings to F-35s: What’s wrong with Canadian military procurement?
- October 29, 2013 - Michel de Salaberry - The Case of the Disappearing Centre in Egyptian (and Other) Politics
- June 25, 2013 - Amitav Rath - India and the World: Rebalancing Economies and Power
- May 28, 2013 - John Christensen - Tax: The Forgotten Element of Development
More information: Tax Justice Network, Canadians for Tax Fairness
- April 30 , 2013 - Kate Higgins - International Development at a Crossroads: The Millennium Development Goals Beyond 2015
- March 26, 2013 - André Laliberté - Challenges to the New Leadership in China
- February 26, 2013 - Jamie Swift - Warrior Nation: Rebranding Canada in an Age of Anxiety
Jamie swift is co-author of Warrior Nation.
- January 29, 2013 - John Jacobs - Canada-European Union Trade Agreement (CETA): For Whose Benefit And At Whose Cost?
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives paper - Straightjacket: CETA's Constraining Effects on Ontario
- November 27, 2012 - Ilario Maiolo - Current Challenges to International Humanitarian Law
- June 19, 2012 - Paul Hannon and Earl Turcotte - Cluster Bomb Law: What Is Wrong and How To Correct It
Paul Hannon Speaking Notes
Earl Turcotte Speaking Notes
More information at Mines Action Canada
- May 29, 2012 - Julia Sanchez - Challenges and Opportunities for Canadian Civil Society in a Transforming World
- April 24, 2012 - Carolyn McAskie - Canada and Multilateralism: Missing in Action
McLeod Group paper, December 2011 (PDF)
- March 27 , 2012: Dr. Andrew Pocock - Zimbabwe - Looking Back and Looking Forward
- February 28, 2012: Obang Metho - A New Colonialism for Africa? Hunger, Aid Dependency and Selling Off of Land & Resources
Speaking Notes (PDF)
Global Response Campaign Alert Ethiopia (PDF)
Related Video - message from Obang Metho
Publications on Land Investment Deals in Africa by Oakland Institute
- January 31, 2012: Robert Fowler - Sleeping with Al-Qaeda
His book, A Season in Hell, is available at HarperCollins.
Special Speaker Series
March 25, 2011 - The Group of 78 has endorsed the Voices-Voix declaration on democracy, free speech and transparency in Canada.
Group of 78 Vision Statement: Global Stewardship: Awakening Canada's Commitment to the World
Afghanistan: In Search of Peace. December 1, 2007
Group of 78 submission to the Independent Panel on Canada's Future Role in Afghanistan