Group of 78 - Member's Bulletin Board
(disponible en anglais seulement)
This Members' Bulletin Board section is intended to provide a space to post items, including articles or letters by our members, that are of interest to the entire membership. Such items represent the views of the individual member, or the original author, not necessarily the Group of 78 as a whole. Members in good standing may make submissions to this section of the web site by emailing email@example.com, and submissions will be reviewed by the communications committee or the executive before posting. All items will be posted in the language in which they are received.
- January 26, 2013 - John Siebert - A Mali-first security strategy for Canada
- January 25, 2013 - Paul Rogers - Mali, and the Al-Quaida Trap
- January 4, 2013 - Paul Rogers - Al-Quaida, Idea in Motion
- February 5, 2013- Michael Byers - Mali: Canada's Return to UN Peacekeeping?
- January 7, 2013 - Hassan Arif - "Does the World Still Trust Canada?", Telegraph Journal, and Huffington Post Canada - Column on the work of the Group of 78 to promote stability in Africa.
- October 30, 2012 - Ron Csillag - Newton Bowles 1916 - 2012 - The Group of 78 remembers with gratitude the life and work of Newton Rowell Bowles, valued long-time G78 Board member and friend.
- May 1, 2012 - Evan Hoffman and Isak Svensson - Pinning Down Peace: Towards a Multi-Dimensional, Clustered Measure of Mediation Success
- April 2012 - Peacebuild and Care Canada - Afghanistan: Pathways to Peace - New Directions for an Inclusive Peace in Afghanistan on
the Afghanistan: Pathways to Peace initiative.
- April 29, 2012 - Earl Turcotte - Analysis of Proposed New Cluster Munitions Legislation now before Parliament
- April 26, 2012 - Manfred Bienefeld - Interview on CHIN radio 'Dialogue with Diversity' on economic issues discussed at our 2011 policy conference. Podcast (MP3).
- July 7, 2012 - Peacebuild and Care Canada - Afghanistan: Pathways to Peace - New Directions for an Inclusive Peace in Afghanistan on
the Afghanistan: Pathways to Peace initiative.
- May 7, 2012 - Two Boys from Aden College by Qais Ghanem. Book Launch at Octopus Books. Buy book at Amazon.
- May 1, 2012 - Evan Hoffman and Isak Svensson, Pinning Down Peace: Towards a Multi-Dimensional, Clustered Measure of Mediation Success
- April 29, 2012 - Earl Turcotte, Analysis of Proposed New Cluster Munitions Legislation now before Parliament
- April 26, 2012 - Manfred Bienefeld, Interview on CHIN radio 'Dialogue with Diversity' on economic issues discussed at our 2011 policy conference. Podcast (MP3).
- Jan. 17 2012 - Letter from Earl Turcotte to the Prime Minister: It's time for Canada to accede to the Convention on Cluster Munitions - and to do it 'right'
- October 26, 2011 - After Palestine's Statehood Bid: resolutions and 'solutions' by Professor Michael Neumann, Inaugural Peyton Lyon lecture
- March 25, 2011 - How We Stopped Loving the Bomb: An insider's account of the world on the brink of nuclear disarmament, by Douglas Roche
- March 25, 2011 - Final Flight from Sanaa, by Qais Ghanem
- February 10, 2011 - Senator Douglas Roche nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- February 6, 2011 - Remembering Norma Walmsley
- November 24, 2010 - "Afghanistan, the pipeline factor", by John Foster, Straight Goods
- November 16, 2010 - "Are troops staying to protect pipeline?" by John Foster, Kingston Whig-Standard
- November 9, 2010 - Books published recently by Group of 78 members:
- October 2010 - Eyes on the Spies: Reforming Intelligence Oversight in Canada by Paul Robinson, CIPS Policy Brief (Centre for International Policy Studies, University of Ottawa). Additional information on the 2010 conference theme, submitted by Peggy Mason.
- October 26, 2010 - Final report of Richard Falk, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian Territories occupied since 1967, to the United Nations General Assembly. (Additional material related to the 2009 annual conference.)
- September 26, 2010 - Afghanistan: Pathways to Peace activity report to AGM by Gerry Ohlsen
- August 18, 2010 - How to balance security and rights? Ottawa Citizen Letter to the Editor by Richard Harmston, Board Chair.
- Janvier 22, 2008 - Rapport final du Groupe d'experts indépendant sur le rôle futur du Canada en Afghanistan
- December 1, 2007 - SOUMISSION DU GROUPE DES 78 AU GROUPE D’EXPERTS INDÉPENDANT SUR LE RÔLE FUTUR DU CANADA EN AFGHANISTAN
- December 1, 2007 - 'Afghanistan: In Search of Peace', Group of 78 submission to the Independent Panel on Canada's Future Role in Afghanistan
- December 1, 2007 Submissions by the Afghan Reference Group to the Independent Panel on Canada's Future Role in Afghanistan
The Afghanistan Reference Group (ARG) is an ad hoc group of Canadian civil society organizations and individuals interested in peace, justice and development in Afghanistan. The purpose of the ARG is to facilitate information sharing among its members, elaborate joint positions on particular issues, conduct research to inform advocacy campaigns, educate the public and engage the Canadian government in a regular dialogue on its aid and defence policies with regard to Afghanistan.
ARG is co-convened by the Canadian Peacebuilding Coordinating Committe ( CPCC ) , and the Canadian Council for International Cooperation ( CCIC ) .
submission 1: Peace and Security: New Directions in Afghanistan
submission 2: Human Rights, Gender and Governance: building the future through the present
submission 3: A Better Helping Hand: Recommendations to Increase the Effectiveness of Canada's Humanitarian and Development Assistance In Afghanistan
- June 2007 - An online forum "Debating Canada's Contributions to Peace Operations, Past,
Present and Future
Ms. Peggy Mason and Dr. Doug Bland have taken sides in this rich, in-depth discussion on what role Canada should play in international peace operations. Responses to the initial comments have been submitted by Peter Goodspeed and Ernie Regehr. Submitted by The Peace Operations Working Group of the Canadian Peacebuilding Coordinating Committee
- May 2007 - Appeal - sent to G8 Heads of State and Governments at the G8 Parliamentarians' Conference on the Economic Rewards of Investing in HIV/AIDS Prevention and Health in Berlin, Germany 30-31 May 2007. Forwarded by Dr. Keith Martin, MP
- May 2007 - Global Peace Index
The Economist Intelligence Unit, in conjunction with an international team of academics and peace experts, has compiled an innovative new Global Peace Index (GPI), which ranks 120 nations according to their relative peacefulness. The Global Peace Index is composed of 24 indicators, ranging from a nation’s level of military expenditure to its relations with neighbouring countries and the level of respect for human rights.
- April 7, 2007 - Letter to the Editor, Ottawa Citizen. Submitted by members of Physicians for Global Survival, many of whom are G78 members.(Re: Canada blasts Iran over hostages and Threaten Iran with 'real pain')
- March 2007 - The Responsibility to Protect: Moving the Agenda Forward by Maria Banda A report produced as part of the United Nations Association in Canada policy and community discussion in 2006 and 2007 to mark the 50th Anniversary of UN Peacekeeping.
For Full Report (PDF)
- August 2006 - Global Economics and the HIV/AIDS Crisis - Abstract by: Shirley Farlinger
- March 1, 2005 - Letter by Peggy Mason to the Globe and Mail in response to the column by Jeffrey Simpson
- March 1, 2005 - Comments by Peggy Mason on the CBC radio "Ontario Today" phone-in
- December 5, 2004 Joan Russow - Did the UN "High-Level" Panel succumb to the "Spirit of Compromise"?
- September 13, 2004, Lynn Myers - Canada faces major security decisions - This article was originally published in the Kitchener-Waterloo Record Mon 13 Sep 2004
- September 12, 2004 Press Release: Anti-Missile System Offers ‘False Security'
- August 5, 2004 News Release: GROUP OF 78 DEPLORES FURTHER STEP DOWN BMD SLIPPERY SLOPE
- August 4, 2004 Peggy Mason telephone comments - CBC radio The Current segment on BMD
- August 3, 2004 Just say no, Canada to ballistic missiles - article by Ernie Regehr and Gerry Barr Globe and Mail on-line edition
- June 26, 2004 A 'man of radical compassion' - Obituary, Most Rev. Edward Scott by Michael Valpy, Globe and Mail
- January 29, 2004 Flora MacDonald awarded the "Padma Shri Award" - news release, High Commission of India
- Jan. 26, 2004, Andy Clarke - World Community or World Chaos. Letter to the editor, Ottawa Citizen
- Oct. 18, 2003, submitted by Ross Smyth - Iraq: Wanted - mundialist police - article by John Roberts
- posted Nov. 6, 2003 Ann Gertler - Statement for Working Group 1 - 53rd Pugwash Conference 17-21 July 2003; Halifax and Pugwash, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Oct. 2, 2003, submitted by Tim Creery - A Legal Black Hole - Exerpts from the first Brian Dickson Memorial Lecture by Johan Steyn
- Oct. 7, 2003 Canadian Network to Abolish Nuclear Weapons launches a new web site,
- Sept. 7, 2003 Derek Paul - Letter circulated to members of the University of Toronto Physics department
- Aug. 10, 2003 by Ross Smyth - Letter to the Editor, Montreal Gazette
- Webcast Sept 8 - 10: 56th Annual Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations Human Security & Dignity: Fulfilling the Promise of the United Nations
- Feb. 20, 2003 Peggy Mason - letter re. CBC 'As It Happens' coverage of UN resolution
- Feb. 3, 2003 Joanna Santa Barbara - letter to editor, Toronto Star re. Canadian military involvement in Iraq
- Jan. 20, 2003 Joanna Miller - Comments on "Daisy" anti-war advertisment
- Jan. 9, 2003 Joanna Miller - comments on 'Bowling for Columbine' and 'Stupid White Men'
- Dec. 20, 2002 Ross Smyth - letter to editor, Montreal Gazette re. International Criminal Court and Iraq